Guild Wars Support Forums Code of Conduct
Welcome to the Guild Wars Support Forums. To ensure that your stay is as pleasant and constructive as possible, please take time to read through this Code of Conduct.
- Keep it clean
- Keep it civil
- Post accurately
- Stay on topic
- Be responsible
- Share your knowledge
- Flag posts for removal if they violate these standards
Code of Conduct
These forums are provided as part of the Guild Wars game service and are subject to the Guild Wars User Agreement governing the game. In addition, you must agree to this Guild Wars Support Forums Code of Conduct ("Code of Conduct") to participate in the forums.
The Guild Wars Support Forums are intended to provide Guild Wars players with a friendly environment to get assistance with technical support and game account issues from ArenaNet staff members and from other players. The forums also furnish a place to report game bugs directly to the developers. This Code of Conduct explains what behavior is expected of all community members. Your use of the Guild Wars Support Forums constitutes acceptance of this Code of Conduct.
To enable ArenaNet (as defined below) to make use of contributions and suggestions related to its games that are made by users in the forums, including but not limited to any text, ideas, art, bug reports, suggestions of any kind or other contributions ("Contributions"), all such Contributions are hereby assigned with all right, title, and interest, including without limitation all intellectual property rights, to ArenaNet, Inc. and its affiliates (including without limitation NCsoft Corporation, NC Interactive, Inc. and NCsoft Europe Ltd.), successors and assigns (collectively "ArenaNet") and shall be deemed the property of ArenaNet. Users agree that no further permission or payment of any kind is necessary to fully exploit Contributions in any medium now known or hereinafter invented throughout the world. ArenaNet hereby grants a limited license back to users to use, distribute, re-publish, and create derivative works from such Contributions solely for non-commercial purposes. Such license to Contributions may be revoked by ArenaNet for any violation of this Code of Conduct.
You represent and warrant that the Contributions do not violate the intellectual property or other rights of any other party and agree to indemnify, defend, and hold harmless ArenaNet from and against all losses, damages, costs, and expenses caused by, associated with, or arising from your Contributions.
Forum moderators have full discretion to address any behavior that they feel is inappropriate. Your membership and participation in these forums is a privilege and not a right. ArenaNet reserves the right to suspend or terminate your access to these forums and/or to the game itself at any time for reasons that include, but are not necessarily limited to, your failure to abide by this Code of Conduct.
ArenaNet may amend or modify this Code of Conduct in its sole discretion any time and from time to time. While this Code of Conduct outlines specific examples, there will always be incidents that will be handled on a case-by-case basis by the moderation staff. ArenaNet has the sole right to interpret and apply this Code of Conduct to any specific circumstance and situation, and its judgment is final. In addition to abiding by the Guild Wars User Agreement (which includes the Guild Wars Rules of Conduct), players who participate in the Guild Wars Support Forums must abide by this Code of Conduct.
You agree to the following guidelines, which will help cultivate a user-friendly environment in the Guild Wars Support Forums:
- Read the forum before asking a question. There’s a good chance your question has already been answered.
- Use the search function before posting. This will focus the discussion and facilitate a response.
- Stay on topic. Posts that are outside the scope of this forum will be moved, removed, or locked. This forum is focused exclusively on customer support issues, so any general game discussion or feedback not related to customer support issues will be removed.
- Do not cross post. Post your message once in the appropriate sub-forum and nowhere else; otherwise it will be locked or removed without warning.
- Do not make tangentially related posts in a thread. If your issue is not directly related to the issue cited in the thread topic/first post, please create a new thread.
- Use a relevant thread title. When asking a support question, use a title that describes your issue and provide details within the thread.
- Avoid frivolous and duplicate postings.
- Post in English. The official language of this forum is English, so please use English when you post.
- Signatures may not exceed three lines of text with a maximum of 100 characters per line. Signatures may not contain images.
- Do not post in all capital letters; do not use "leetspeek," excessive punctuation, colored text, alternating lower case and capital letters, etc. Please refrain from these and other similar attention-seeking tactics to draw attention to your post. Let your post stand on its own merits.
- Do not spam. This includes bumping threads or making posts that lack content.
- Be respectful. Be pleasant to forums members, staff members, and moderators.
- Do not use profanity, insults, and personal attacks. If you have a problem with another member, contact a moderator.
- Do not engage in staff call-outs. Using the words 'ArenaNet' or any staff member’s name in a thread topic is not permitted. Everyone would like staff members to read and acknowledge their post, and we understand that. However, using staff member names in the topic does not help this happen.
- Do not engage in personal attacks against forum moderators or game developers. If you disagree with an action taken by a moderator, you may email email@example.com and a staff member will review the matter. Abuse of staff members or moderators in forum posts or PMs may result in forum account termination.
- Do not submit "trolling" posts or threads. We define "trolling" as commenting in a manner intended to elicit overly strong negative and emotional responses for mere shock value, attempting to derail threads, persistently posting off-topic, or engaging in personal attacks on another forum member. Accounts made with the sole intent to "troll" will be terminated.
- Do not engage in character assassination. Threads or posts that single out a player for ridicule or that accuse someone of inappropriate in-game actions will be removed without notice. In-game violations should be reported directly to our Support Team. If you believe that using the support system did not result in a sufficient or timely response, you may post your concern in the Support Issues sub-forum.
- Do not debate customer support decisions or actions. Threads designed to announce, appeal, or contest your own or another player’s suspension or account termination—be it a forum or game account—will be removed without notice. This forum is intended to help players find a solution to their support problems, not discuss actions taken by the customer support team.
- Do not post about locked, deleted, or otherwise moderated threads or posts. Moderation happens for a reason. A staff member or moderator may lock a thread before posting in order to promptly curtail continued comments. So if you have yet to see a comment by a member of the moderation team on a locked thread, please wait for the comment to appear and do not post a new thread on the subject. If you have questions regarding forum moderation, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Do not post petitions. This is a customer support forum. Page after page of "/signed" does not assist members with support questions and concerns.
- Do not post "I demand an answer" threads. Threads that make threats or use other combative language will be removed without notice. If your question has not been addressed by a staff member, there is a reason for that. For example, an answer may not currently be available. ArenaNet staff members will post about emergencies or other situations, as they are able.
- Do not post conspiracy threads. Threads that make groundless claims about ArenaNet or any of its personnel acting in collusion with or granting favoritism to any group or player will be removed without notice.
- Do not circumvent the word filter. The Support Forum, like the game, is filtered for appropriate language. Any attempt to circumvent this filter will not be tolerated including the use of “creative spelling” or of forum names or signatures that contain a word that is censored by the prohibited words filter.
- Do not post on behalf of a suspended or banned user.
- Do not make alternate forum accounts. Users are permitted one account per person. Alternate accounts will be terminated, and users involved in creating alternate accounts will be subject to discipline at the discretion of the moderator staff.
- Do not post threads about circumventing the rules. Any thread that forum staff believes is trying to find some loophole to get away with disobeying the rules of the forums, in fact or in spirit, will be removed.
- Do not post legal action threads. Using the forums or PMs for encouraging, promoting, endorsing, or inciting any kind of legal action against the company or any individual is strictly prohibited. Such content will be removed, and the author's posting privileges will be permanently revoked.
- Do not post any information in this forum that is covered by any form of NDA (Non-Disclosure Agreement). Such information will be removed and the member’s forum account will be terminated. Further, if the game is an ArenaNet game, the post will be removed, and the related ArenaNet game account will be terminated. Such breaches may also result in your disqualification from participation in any future ArenaNet testing programs and/or your removal from all other current ArenaNet testing programs.
- Do not breach the Guild Wars User Agreement. Any post or thread in which a player admits to violating the Guild Wars User Agreement, encourages others to violate the Guild Wars User Agreement, or violates the Guild Wars User Agreement itself will be removed and the forum account will be terminated.
- If you wish to report a post, use the Report Post button located on the post in question. Please, do not create a new forum post linking to threads you feel should be moderated. Reported posts will be reviewed by the moderator staff and addressed as necessary.
- You are responsible for making sure that your account information, particularly your email address, is up-to-date.
- All message board content is permitted or removed at the discretion of ArenaNet.
You further agree not to engage in any of the following behavior:
- Take any action, upload, post, email or otherwise transmit any content that infringes or violates any third party rights;
- Impersonate any person or entity, including, but not limited to, an ArenaNet employee, or falsely state or otherwise misrepresent your affiliation with a person or entity;
- Take any action, upload, post, email, link to, or otherwise transmit real-life personal information about other players or ArenaNet personnel;
- Take any action, upload, post, email, link to, or otherwise transmit any content which insultingly refers to other characters, players, ArenaNet personnel, or groups of people;
- Take any action, upload, post, email, link to, or otherwise transmit any content that violates any law or regulation;
- Take any action, upload, post, email, link to, or otherwise transmit any content which involves the use of illegal drugs or performing illegal activities;
- Take any action, upload, post, email, link to, or otherwise transmit any content as determined by ArenaNet in its sole discretion that is harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, tortuous, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, libelous, invasive of another's privacy, hateful, or is racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable. Hate speech is not tolerated, whether on public posts or in private messages;
- Take any action, upload, post, email, link to, or otherwise transmit any content that insultingly refers to any aspect of sexual orientation pertaining to themselves or other players;
- Take any action, upload, post, email, link to, or otherwise transmit any content which insultingly portrays major religions or religious figures;
- Take any action, upload, post, email, link to, or otherwise transmit any content which promotes hatred of any kind, including that based on nation, race, religion, age, sex, gender orientation, or culture.
- Take any action, upload, post, email, link to, or otherwise transmit any content that refers to violent sexual acts or real life violent actions, pornography, inappropriate references to human anatomy or bodily functions, gratuitously offensive content, or content which refers to violence in any capacity that is not directly related to the game world;
- Take any action, upload, post, email, link to, or otherwise transmit any content as determined by ArenaNet in its sole discretion that contains any cheats, hacks, viruses, trojan horses, worms, time bombs, cancelbots or other computer programming routines that are intended to damage, detrimentally interfere with, surreptitiously intercept or expropriate any system, data, or personal information. If you would like to legitimately report such material, please contact customer service through the ticketing system;
- Take any action, upload, post, email, link to, or otherwise transmit any content that would violate any right or duty under any law or under contractual or fiduciary relationships (such as inside information, proprietary and confidential information learned or disclosed as part of employment relationships or under nondisclosure agreements);
- Take any action, upload, post, email, link to, or otherwise transmit any content that advertises any businesses, organizations, or websites;
- Take any action, upload, post, email, link to, or otherwise transmit any content which shows unreleased in-game items, equipment, or areas that have been unlocked via hacking into client data files;
- Upload, post, email or otherwise transmit any unsolicited or unauthorized advertising, promotional materials, "junk mail," "spam," "chain letters," "pyramid schemes," or any other form of solicitation;
- Interfere with or disrupt the Guild Wars Support Forums, servers or networks associated with the Guild Wars Support Forums, or disobey any requirements, procedures, policies or regulations of networks associated with the Guild Wars Support Forums;
- Attempt to gain access to a password, other account information, or other private information. Remember: ArenaNet and NCsoft personnel will NEVER ask for your password. Do not give your password, reminder words, or billing information out to anyone;
- Advertise or solicit the sale or trade of a Guild Wars account; advertise or solicit the sale or trade of any account or item related to another game; advertise or solicit the sale of gold or items for real world currency; promote or aid in any such transaction;
- Improperly use the customer support ticketing system or make false reports to ArenaNet staff members;
- Provide false information or intentionally hide any information when registering for your Guild Wars account;
- Post profanity or otherwise objectionable content in your profile.
- "Stalk" or otherwise harass another member.
You agree that ArenaNet may take whatever steps it deems necessary to maintain a suitable forum environment at its sole discretion and without notice to you.
We believe that this Code of Conduct is based on common sense. The rules are intended to keep the Guild Wars Support Forums a useful and constructive place for players to report game bugs and to ask customer support questions. We ask for your cooperation and support in creating a healthy, constructive place to achieve these goals.
Thank you for being a part of the Guild Wars Support Forums! We welcome your suggestions and feedback on how to make this a better place for players with customer support concerns. Please send an email to email@example.com, and we will be pleased to review it. Due to the volume of mail we receive, we cannot answer every email, but we read everything.
Updated 8 June, 2011