Guild Wars Wintersday Art Contest
Wintersday Art Contest Winners!
The nights grow long and the snow level is dropping. Is that the sheen of ice in the Lion's Arch fountain? Do you hear the Elonians warming up their voices in preparation for caroling in Kamadan? Ok, enough seasonal references, let's move on to the good bits: We're happy to announce the first annual Guild Wars Wintersday Art Contest! That's right: Wintersday is coming, and with it comes the opportunity to share seasonal Guild Wars goodness with others—in your own neighborhood, in your guild, and around the world.
You are invited to put your imagination and your artistic talents to work in crafting a piece of seasonal art with a holiday tone and a Guild Wars theme. Perhaps it's an invitation to the Wintersday Festival or a poster celebrating the event. Or maybe it's a collage of seasonal art with Guild Wars characters, or a screenshot from last year's festival with your own artistic touches added. All ideas are welcome, and a side benefit for the Dev Team is that some of the fan art will be printed to decorate our office this holiday season. So share the joy!
How to Enter:
- Prizes: 10 (10) winners will have their creations presented on the Guild Wars website and will receive one of the prizes below. (The total estimated retail value of all prizes will not exceed $1,300.) The prizes are as follows:
- 1st through 5th Prize: Guild Wars Nightfall Collector's Edition signed by the Guild Wars Development Team, along with a Guild Wars Nightfall t-shirt. (Approximate retail value $80.00 each.)
- 6th through 10th Prize: Guild Wars Nightfall Standard Edition signed by the Guild Wars Development Team, along with a Guild Wars Nightfall t-shirt. (Approximate retail value $60.00 each)
- Honorable Mentions may also be cited, at the discretion of the judges. Honorable Mention artwork may be displayed on the Guild Wars website, if possible. Each contestant who is given Honorable Mention recognition will receive a full set of the Guild Wars Skill Pins (Approximate Retail Value: $40.00 US each.)
- Entries will be judged on the basis of creativity, style, and the melding of a traditional winter holiday such as Christmas or Hanukkah into a Guild Wars theme.
- Deadline for entries to be received (via email or postal mail) is Noon PST on Thursday, December 14, 2006.
- Winners will be announced on or before December 31, 2006 and will be posted on www.guildwars.com.
- One entry per person.
- Originality: Entries must be the creation of the contestant and cannot be taken from any other source. Your submission must not infringe on any patent, copyright, trademark or other intellectual property right, or any privacy, publicity or publishing rights of any third party, or be libelous, obscene or otherwise contrary to law. Please, no clip art, tracings, or art from other sources such as games, movies, or books.
- Eligibility (age): As of November 30, 2006, North American contestants must be 13 years of age or older. Due to legal requirements, European contestants must be 18 year of age or older, or have a parent or guardian enter in the minor's name.
- Eligibility (exclusions): Employees of ArenaNet Inc., NCsoft Europe Ltd., and NCsoft Corporation (collectively, "Sponsor"), and each of their respective parent companies, affiliates, subsidiaries, representatives, advertising, promotion and publicity agencies and members of the immediate families (defined as parents, children, siblings and spouse, regardless of where they reside) or households of such employees are not eligible.
- Eligibility (location): Entries will be accepted from residents of North America, Europe, Australia, New Zealand, Korea, Japan, Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Macau. (US Exceptions: the State of Rhode Island, Guam, Puerto Rico, U.S. territories, military installations and commonwealths. Canadian Exceptions: Quebec. Canadian residents will be required to answer an additional mathematical question in order to claim their prize.)
- Prize: There are up to ten (10) prizes available. Each winner will have an image of his/her project posted on the official website soon after judging takes place. In addition, winners will receive prizes as outlined in the Prizes section above.
- Judging: Entries will be judged equally on the basis of creativity, style, and the melding of a traditional winter holiday into a Guild Wars theme.
- Deadline: Emails must be received by Noon PST on Thursday, December 14, 2006.
- Announcement: Winners will be announced on or before December 31, 2006. If a winner cannot be contacted at the email address they submitted, or is contacted and does not respond by signing and returning to us for our receipt within the time indicated on the documents, an Affidavit of Eligibility (or, in Canada, a Declaration of Compliance with Contest Rules) and Liability/Publicity Release, or refuses or is ineligible to accept a prize, the prize may be awarded to the next highest ranking entrant on or about January 10, 2007. Any prize not claimed by one alternately chosen winner will not be awarded. Prizes are not transferable. No substitution of prize for cash or other goods and services is permitted, except Sponsor reserves the right to provide a substitute prize of approximately equal value. Taxes on prizes (including, without limitation, income or withholding taxes or duties), if any, are the sole responsibility of the individual winners. If a winner is under 18 or a minor in his or her state/province/country of residence, his or her parent or guardian must also sign the applicable release and documentation.
- By entering the Guild Wars Wintersday Art Contest, (a) you agree to all of the terms and conditions of these Official Rules and Conditions, (b) you warrant that your entry is your own original work and that it does not violate any rights of any third party, (c) you assign and agree to assign to Sponsor all rights, title and interest, including, without limitation, copyright, in or to your entry, (d) you agree that Sponsor may post your user or forum name (or real name) and hometown on Sponsor's website and in any and all publicity and advertising for Sponsor, this Contest or other promotions by Sponsor without any further attribution, notification or compensation to you, except where prohibited by law, (e) you agree to be contacted by Sponsor or its agents by telephone, mail or e-mail, and (f) you agree to sign the documentation set forth in the announcement section immediately above (and have your parent or guardian sign such documentation where applicable or requested by Sponsor). Entries become the property of ArenaNet and will not be returned.
- Sponsor cannot be held responsible for any lost, late, incomplete, incorrect, unintelligible, garbled, delayed or misdirected entries, which will be void. Sponsor is not responsible for hardware or software malfunctions, lost or unavailable network connections. Use of a false name, username, mailing address or e-mail account will disqualify an entry and the individual who submitted the entry. Use of obscenities, racist, sexist, hateful or other material or depictions that, in Sponsor's judgment, are inappropriate or offensive, will disqualify an entry. Sponsor, in its sole discretion, can disqualify from this contest and any other contest conducted by Sponsor, any person who, in Sponsor's reasonable suspicion, tampers with the entry process or the operation of the web site, or who otherwise violates these rules or any part of the Guild Wars User Agreement. Sponsor has the right to terminate, suspend or modify this contest, in whole or in part, at any time and without prior notice, if, in Sponsor's judgment, the contest is altered, corrupted or cannot be completed as planned due to any conditions beyond Sponsor's control, or at Sponsor's reasonable discretion. Incomplete entries are invalid, and entrants with incomplete entries will be disqualified.
- Judges will be comprised of members of the Sponsor's staff. The decisions of the judges will be final.
- This contest is void where prohibited, restricted or taxed by law.
- Sponsor, in its sole discretion, may edit and modify any submission before posting. Sponsor and its parent company, affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising, promotion and publicity agencies and all of their respective directors, officers, employees, agents, representatives, successors and assigns are not in any way responsible or liable for damages, loss or injury resulting from participation in this contest or acceptance, loss or use of any prizes awarded in this contest. You further agree that in any cause of action, Sponsor's liability will be limited to the cost of entering and participating in the contest, and in no event shall Sponsor be liable for attorney's fees. You waive the right to claim any damages whatsoever, including, but not limited to, punitive, consequential, direct, or indirect damages. Except where prohibited, you agree that any and all disputes, claims and causes of action arising out of or connected with this contest or any prize awarded shall be resolved under the laws of the State of Washington, without respect to any conflict of law issues, and entrant agrees that such shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, and exclusively by the U.S. Federal and State Courts of King County, Washington, U.S.A. You assume sole liability for injuries, including personal injuries and/or damage to property or prize, caused or claimed to be caused by participating in this contest or the acceptance, loss, shipment, or use of any prize awarded. Sponsor is not responsible for any failure to contact entrants, whether due to technical or human error. All of Sponsor's decisions regarding the application and interpretation of the rules are final.
© 2006 ArenaNet Inc. All rights reserved. NCsoft, the interlocking NC logo, Guild Wars, Guild Wars Factions, Factions, Guild Wars Nightfall, Nightfall, ArenaNet and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCsoft Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.